The priority is Jesus.” – Brock Shinen
One of the questions I receive the most is, “How do I go about copyrighting the songs I’m writing for my local church.” Well, I’m not the expert. But my guest on today’s show is. Brock Shinen is an Intellectual Property attorney who works with artists, churches, authors, and organizations surrounding this whole daunting concept.
I love Brock for this expertise and also for his love for Jesus. He works with Jesus Culture as one of his clients and is committed to the Kingdom of God.
If you are a songwriter, you need to listen to this and share it with 4,000 of your songwriting friends 🙂
Click to Listen
Today’s podcast is brought to you by Learn Worship Keys, an online course to help you improvise, innovate, and play worship music on the keys in 3 months or less.
Learn Worship Keys is a membership site with over 30 videos, expert interviews, and incredible bonuses.
If you’ve always wanted to play keys or learned classical music but always wanted to improv, this is for you.
Or if you’ve been looking for a resource to equip your keyboard players on how to play simply, navigate the software world, and make beautiful music, you need to check out Learn Worship Keys.
We already have dozens and dozens of students kicking the excuses and learning how to play. Will you be next? CLICK HERE to check out Learn Worship Keys.
In this Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- How to get things done as an entrepreneur.
- The pros & cons of self publishing and traditional publishing.
- How to come up with new ideas as a writer.
- Why it’s important to protect your songs.
- The steps you need to take to copyright your work as a solo artist.
- The steps you need to take to copyright your work as a church worship team.
- How to determine what writers should be paid.
- How to avoid legal issues with the IRS.
- How to pay royalties.
- Paying songwriters and paying artists.
- The importance of a social media strategy.
- The problem with emulation and mimicking.
- How to pursue more authenticity.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Website: The Law Office of Brock Shinen
- Website: Brock Shinen
- Course: Protect Your Creative Works with US Copyright Registration with Brock Shinen
- Podcast: Malcolm DuPlessis on Indigenous Worship, Celebrity Leadership, & an Honest Look at Modern Worship
- Website: The Lefsetz Letter
- Podcast: The Cognipop Podcast
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @bbshinen
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bbshinen/
Thanks For Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post. So helpful!
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see, a special guest you’d like to hear from, or a question for an upcoming episode, please email me. If you enjoyed the show, I would be so appreciative if you would rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That helps me so much! Thanks.
And thanks to Brock for sharing with us!
Question: What’s your biggest takeaway from this interview with Brock? Always love to hear from you! You can leave a comment by clicking here.