Most hymns I love are penned by people who are suffering. This is apt material for a record that is a meditation on the poor in spirit.” – Audrey Assad
Today’s show is an amazing conversation with Audrey Assad. If you’re not familiar with Audrey, take a minute and watch this video. I’ve had this on repeat for a few weeks and just love it.
Audrey is a powerful singer/songwriter, worship leader, & author. This conversation is fun as we dive into her creative process, the business side of being an independent artist, her new hymns record, and so much more.
Click to Listen
Today’s podcast is brought to you by Learn Worship Keys, an online course to help you improvise, innovate, and play worship music on the keys in 3 months or less.
Learn Worship Keys is a membership site with over 30 videos, expert interviews, and incredible bonuses.
If you’ve always wanted to play keys or learned classical music but always wanted to improv, this is for you.
Or if you’ve been looking for a resource to equip your keyboard players on how to play simply, navigate the software world, and make beautiful music, you need to check out Learn Worship Keys.
We already have dozens and dozens of students kicking the excuses and learning how to play. Will you be next? CLICK HERE to check out Learn Worship Keys.
In this Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- The difference between writing a book and writing songs.
- Audrey’s church upbringing and what that taught her.
- How to develop confidence to do what God has called you to do.
- What it takes to build a career in music.
- Tips for optimizing social media.
- Why Audrey’s Catholic faith is so important to her.
- The heart and story behind Audrey’s new hymns record, Inheritance.
- The challenging story behind the song “Even Unto Death”
- The era of “arena rock” worship and why it works.
- Audrey’s favorite worship songs
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Show Sponsor: Learn Worship Keys
- Website: Audrey Assad
- Music: Inheritance by Audrey Assad
- Music: Fortunate Fall by Audrey Assad
- Website: Tenth Avenue North
- Podcast: Matt Maher on the Movement of Jesus, Creative Limits in Our Gatherings, & a History of Christian Worship
- Book: Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila
- Book: 30 Days with Teresa of Avila by Daniel Burke & Anthony Lilles
- Book: Entering the Silence (The Journals of Thomas Merton) by Thomas Merton
- Music: Amanda Cook
- Video: Mercy by Amanda Cook
- Podcast: John Mark McMillan on Honest Art, Songwriting Routines, Pushing Your Sound, & Making Your Living as an Artist
- Video: Death in His Grave
Thanks For Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post. So helpful!
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see, a special guest you’d like to hear from, or a question for an upcoming episode, please email me. If you enjoyed the show, I would be so appreciative if you would rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That helps me so much! Thanks.
And thanks to Audrey for sharing with us!
Question: What’s your biggest takeaway from this interview with Audrey? Always love to hear from you! You can leave a comment by clicking here.