I needed to resist the urge to get up on stage and do my own thing. I really needed to learn the craft of what others were doing.” – Jeffrey Kunde
Got to love sitting down and talking music. That’s exactly what Jeffrey Kunde and I did. Jeffrey is the lead guitarist for Jesus Culture as well as a session guitarist for other artists. He’s also the author of 3 practical workbooks for musicians, Music Theory for the Music Industry, Train Your Ear, and How I Play Guitar.
This conversation is all about how Jeffrey sees music, writes music, and approaches the guitar. So many nuggets to take away here, not only for guitar players, but all musicians alike.
Click to Listen
Today’s podcast is brought to you by Learn Worship Keys, an online course to help you improvise, innovate, and play worship music on the keys in 3 months or less.
is a membership site with over 30 videos, expert interviews, and incredible bonuses.
If you’ve always wanted to play keys or learned classical music but always wanted to improv, this is for you.
Or if you’ve been looking for a resource to equip your keyboard players on how to play simply, navigate the software world, and make beautiful music, you need to check out Learn Worship Keys.
We already have dozens and dozens of students kicking the excuses and learning how to play. Will you be next? CLICK HERE to check out Learn Worship Keys.
In This Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- What golf and guitar have in common.
- Jeffrey’s most embarrassing guitar moment.
- What young guitar players need to work on to become great.
- The distinctives of worship guitar playing.
- Why you need to resist doing your own thing on stage.
- Why every guitar player needs a “bag of tricks”.
- Jeffrey’s go to playing techniques.
- Tips for writing parts and creating melodic lines.
- Why your first idea may be your best idea…except when it isn’t.
- The importance of the Nashville Number System (and some tips for learning it).
- Jeffrey’s favorite keys to play in.
- Why capos are awesome.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Website: Jeffrey Kunde
- Book: Music Theory for the Music Industry by Jeffrey Kunde
- Book: How I Play Guitar by Jeffrey Kunde
- Book: Train Your Ear by Jeffrey Kunde
- Website: Jeffrey’s Guitar Gear
- Amp: Badcat Luca
- Amp: Matchless DC30
- Website: Veritas Guitars
- Pedal: Mad Professor
- Pedal: JHS Superbolt
- Pedal: Proco RAT
- Pedal: Strymon Timeline
- Pedal: Strymon Big Sky
- Twitter: @jeffreykunde
Thanks For Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post. So helpful!
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see, a special guest you’d like to hear from, or a question for an upcoming episode, please email me. If you enjoyed the show, I would be so appreciative if you would rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That helps me so much! Thanks.
And thanks to Jeffrey for sharing with us!
Question: What’s your biggest takeaway from this interview with Jeffrey? Always love to hear from you! You can leave a comment by clicking here.