Paul Baloche is our first 3-peat guest on the Beyond Sunday Podcast.
It’s probably because he’s saying something we need to hear. Matter of fact, Paul has been trumpeting the cause of the local church and being a Pastor to Worship Pastors for many years.
When I was a young, his songs helped to form my expression of worship. What I love about Paul’s music is how he’s always stayed true to who he is. He’s never tried to “reinvent himself”. He’s always written beautiful, catchy, simple songs of worship that connect with people of all ages.
In this conversation we talk about his new album, avoiding a jaded heart, being authentic on stage, and more. When most people ramble, it’s annoying. When Paul rambles, it’s time to take notes.
Click to Listen
The sponsor for today’s show is a simple, beautiful new app called Chordmatic. One of the skills any great worship musician needs is transposition. One week a song may be in B. Another week, it may be in D. Sometimes keys change on the fly. Chordmatic is one of the quickest ways I’ve seen to transpose chords right from your smartphone.
In the middle of a rehearsal, you can plug the chords in to the app and email it to everyone else on the team. I also love that you add your capo position to determine the proper key as well.
Check it out at getchordmatic.com. It’s a $1.99 well spent.
In this Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- My “review” of Paul’s newest album
- How to avoid a jaded heart.
- Why our worship environments shouldn’t feel too “slick”.
- The importance of memorizing scripture.
- Memorization and songwriting tips.
- The natural accountability of worship leading.
- How to avoid an obsession with productivity and simply connecting with God.
- Why location shouldn’t hold you back from creativity.
- Paul and I going back and forth on favorite tracks on the album.
- The importance of simple, lighthearted songs.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Show Sponsor: Chordmatic
- Music: Your Mercy by Paul Baloche
- Website: Paul Baloche
- Podcast: Paul Baloche on Being a Worship Pastor, Christmas Music, & Balancing Production with Authenticity
- Music: Frontiers by Vertical Church Band
- Music: Songs of the People by Prestonwood Worship
- Book: Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
If you enjoyed the show, I would be so appreciative if you would rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That helps me so much! Thanks.
Question: What was your biggest takeaway from this interview with Paul? You can leave a comment by clicking here.