Todays guest writes one of my favorite worship blogs on the internet: Zac Hicks.
Zac is a worship pastor at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, pastored by Tullian Tchividjian. This conversation was one of my favorites! Zac is a super smart guy who knows a whole lot about culture, music, theology, and how that all connects to leading worship in the local church.
We also talk a lot about reading books and learning styles (hence all the amazing book recommendations below). Zac talks about how reading keeps him sharp as a worship leader. There are some very practical tips for you.
And one of my favorite parts: approaching the subject of getting old and “irrelevant” as a worship leader.
Not to be missed!
Click to Listen
In This Episode, You’ll Hear More About:
- Why loving and learning old things is important
- Why classical music education is helpful to modern music
- Developing an appreciation for music you don’t usually listen to
- Expanding your imagination as a musician
- Re-contextualizing old hymns to edify the church and speak to our blind spots
- On developing a love for reading & learning
- The pros and cons of reading on a Kindle
- Why studying culture is important for pastors/worship leaders
- How EDM is changing the form of song structure in contemporary worship music
- Why we need to love the church, not hurl rocks at her
- Why worship leaders fear getting old
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Website: Zac Hicks
- Website: Liberate
- Book: Gadsby’s Hymns by William Gadsby
- Book: Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley
- Book: Justin Holcomb books
- Book: Love Your God with All Your Mind by J.P Moreland
- Book: Who’s Afraid of Modern Art? by Dan Sidell
- Book: A Mess of Help: From the Crucified Soul of Rock & Roll by David Zahl
- Book: Christ Centered Worship by Bryan Chappell
- Book: Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin
- Book: Rhythms of Grace by Mike Cosper
- Book: Worship: Its Theology & Practice by J.J. Von Allmen
- Music: Dustin Kensrue
- Music: We Will Not Be Shaken by Bethel Music
- Song: Seas of Crimson by Bethel Music
- Blog Post: How EDM is Changing the Form of Song Structure in Pop Music…and Maybe Congregational Music
- Blog Post: Why We Worship Leaders Fear Getting Old
- Music: Never Looking Back by Allison Park Worship
Thanks For Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post. So helpful!
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see, a special guest you’d like to hear from, or a question for an upcoming episode, please email me. If you enjoyed the show, I would be so appreciative if you would rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That helps me so much! Thanks.
A huge thank you to Zac for sharing with us!
Question: What was your biggest takeaway from the interview with Zac? Always love to hear from you! You can leave a comment by clicking here.