Nobody likes to be the new guy.
All around you see worship leaders of large churches, touring musicians of crazy talent, and veterans who’ve been leading for years.
But what if you just started or are waiting for your time? That can be one of the scariest moments of your life.
When I started leading worship, it was the grace of God that prevented me from having an anxiety attack every time.
The crowds of people, no matter how small, freaked me out.
My inexperience with singing left me terrified.
The spiritual pressure of engaging a room left me spellbound.
If I could slip back in time, this is the advice I would offer myself. And it’s the advice I offer to you, young worship leader.
5 Tips For Brand New Worship Leaders
1. Don’t base your identity on each performance – I can think back to numerous times where I felt either crushed or on top of the world after leading worship. Truth is, sometimes everything will go better than planned. Other times, you will fail.
Don’t base your identity on how you perform. Realize that Jesus loves you. Understand that you are His. Lead out of that truth.
2. Your heart is what sets you apart – I’ll tell you right now, there are worship leaders who are way more talented than you. Who cares?
Want to know what sets you apart? It’s the work of God in you. It’s the way you see Jesus and how you express that in front of people. Don’t overlook the heart for the sake of petty competition.
3. Focus on serving, not performing – Bottom line: don’t perform worship for people. Serve them. What do they need? What will facilitate their encounter with God? How can you make their worship experience easy and engaging? These are the questions that will serve you best.
4. Don’t try too hard – Something that I failed to recognize (and still do) is that the Holy Spirit is moving. In every song, every word, every silent moment, He is moving. While you want to give your best effort, you need to relax and lead in the confidence that He is present and working miracles.
5. Stay Amazed – Nothing will dry up your worship leading faster than a dull heart. Fight to stay amazed. Fight to dwell in His presence. Fight to keep your heart alive to His breathtaking beauty.
Thanks for stepping out and giving your time to lead God’s people deeper into His presence.
Your church needs you.
Question: If you’re a new worship leader, what are you most excited about? If you’ve been leading for a while, what advice would you give your younger self? Add to the discussion in the comments! Go ahead, it’s always better when you do!